[mod_python] mod_python & Leopard

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Mar 18 10:38:23 EDT 2008

Brian wrote, at 03/18/2008 09:47 AM:

> How can I remove the python that is from MacPorts (/Library/....)and/or set the system to use the version of python that came with Leopard (/System/Library....)?

If you have Apple's Xcode installed, compiling mod_python for Leopard to
use with the system provided versions of httpd, python, etc. should be
as simple as running these commands (we're checking the code out from
subversion, which contains Graham's fixes for OS X):

   $ mkdir -p ~/src/mod_python
   $ cd ~/src/mod_python
   $ svn co
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/quetzalcoatl/mod_python/trunk
mod_python-trunk
   $ cd mod_python-trunk
   $ ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
   $ make
   $ sudo make install
   $ cd test/
   $ python test.py

I've confirmed that this works on a system with MacPorts installed, and
there was no conflict. This approach used the default system software.
Unless you've altered your $PATH, you should have no problems. Please
try this before attempting to customize the build process, especially if
you are content to use Apple-provided software for your web server needs.