[mod_python] Mod_Python and Google Summer of Code 2006.

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Apr 18 21:09:17 EDT 2006

Depending on what lists and sites you read, you have probably heard by now
that Google is running it's Summer of Code program again. In their own
words:

  Summer of Code 2006 is a program that offers student developers stipends
  to create new open source programs or to help currently established projects.

The idea being that various groups, of which Apache Software Foundation
is one, suggest projects which could be taken on by students under the
program.

More details can be found at:

  http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html
  http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2006

There has been a bit of discussion back and forth on the HTTPD developers
list about possible projects. This email is to see if anyone has any specific
ideas with a mod_python flavour that could be put up. I have posted this on
the general list rather than the developer list for mod_python as although
you need some projects, not much good if you can't find students who might
be interested in doing it. Thus thought might have more success getting both
ideas and students interested in doing them here.

That all said, one possible project is something that has been discussed
a couple of times previously. That is a "mod_dav_python" module.

The idea with this is that if:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-165

is implemented to expose some of mod_python internals, the mod_dav
Python support could be done in a distinct standalone module with a life
of its own, thus not impacting on mod_python development or holding
it up.

The projects itself would basically entail coming up with Python wrappers
for mod_dav structures and bridging between mod_dav hooks and Python
functions that implement them. Wrapping of mod_dav internal functions
would probably also be required. To get an idea of what structures etc
there are see:

  http://docx.itscales.com/structdav__hooks__repository.html

Now this may simply be too ambitious a project for a student. I admit I
don't know too much about mod_dav to know.

Anyway, else got any other ideas for other projects with a mod_python
flavour to them that could be proposed? Anyone knowledgeable about
mod_dav care to set me straight on mod_dav and point out that it probably
would be too complicated?