[mod_python] Sessions

Joshua Ginsberg listspam at flowtheory.net
Thu Jun 2 18:55:33 EDT 2005

Hi Timothy --

I suppose the documentation doesn't have a step-by-step because there's
really not a step-by-step to it.

When you create a Session object, it looks for a cookie called pysid in
the client's browser. If that cookie does not exist, creating the
Session object sets the cookie in the client's browser.

So for example:

<%
# sessionfu.psp

from mod_python import Session
import pprint

pp = pprint.PrettyPrinter()
sess = Session.Session(req)
newkey = form.getfirst('newkey','')
newvalue = form.getfirst('newvalue','')

%>
<head>
<title>Session-Fu</title>
</head>
<%
if sess.is_new():
	req.write('''<p>This is a new session.</p>''')
else:
	if newkey != '':
		# Since Session is an extension of dict, we can assign key/value
pairs to it
		sess[newkey] = newvalue
	req.write('''<p>This is an existing session.</p>''')
	# dump the keys and values in the session already
	req.write('''<pre>'''+pp.pformat(sess)+'''</pre>''')
%>
<!-- With this form you can set new keys and values in the session -->
<form action="sessionfu.psp">
name="newvalue" type="text" /> <input type="submit" /></p>
</form>

I haven't compiled the above, but you get the gist.

-jag