[mod_python] Re: error message when mutexes cannot be created

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon May 17 14:14:30 EDT 2004

David Fraser wrote:

> Hi
>
> I recently had trouble restarting my Apache server.
> I got the following error message when trying to start it:
> [Mon May 17 12:32:59 2004] [error] (28)No space left on device: Cannot
> create SSLMutex
> Configuration Failed
>
> It turned out this was because there were left-over mutexes that
> hadn't been deallocated when Apache was shut down.
> Most of these are created by mod_python.
>
> I wonder if the error message can be improved to say "Maximum Mutexes
> exceeded" as it seemed a bit misleading.
> Anyway I suspect it isn't in the mod_python code itself.
>
> But also, would there be a way for mod_python to pick up left-over
> mutexes from dead apache processes and kill them?
>
> I probably don't have too good an understanding of how they work, so
> this may be an ignorant suggestion...
>
> David

OK, I have worked out why the extra mutexes were being allocated...

When restarting, I sometimes get the following error:
Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
address [::]:443
Unable to open logs
                                                           [FAILED]

It seems that if this happens, Apache shuts down, but the mod_python
mutexes have already been allocated and they aren't deallocated...
Is there a way to detect a configuration error that prevents full start
up and release the mutexes?

David