[mod_python] python-dev list

vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 14 01:53:37 EST 2002

* Michael Neel <neel at mediapulse.com> [020914 01:04]:
> Apache is using ezmlm; of which I have no idea how it works.  Maybe we
> could show asf the light and get them to switch to mailman? =D

A wild guess: could 'ezmlm' stand for 'eazy mailman'?
I wonder if trying to propose such a fundamental switch to ASF is feasible,
especially if the use of ezmlm is 'entrentched' at apache (I have no clues)
and there are no major issues with it. Why would they (us?) switch to mailman ?
There must be some fundamental motivation behind this move, be it technical
or ideological or otherwise. I don't know enough about the apache politics to
answer such questions. Another wild guess: ASF is made of pretty bright people,
surely there must be something about ezmlm to making them choose it (I am
doing a lot of guessing here, so I guess they must have been aware of mailman
when they decided on ezmlm instead).

Just skimming the ezmlm.org site, seems it is very good at handling 'huge'
mailing lists (half a million subscribers). Maybe that's its core competitive
advantage. Also supports MySQL RDBMS which sounds interesting.
(accessing the ezmlm FAQ seems quite slow, though). And is optimized for speed.
I don't know, maybe ezmlm is better suited for ASF's needs than mailman (on
which I must plead total ignorance, sorry).

FAQ topic of interest: '5.7 Converting to and from and SQL database.' By
extension, I wonder where's the topic 'X.Y Converting to and from mailman.'? :)

Vio