[mod_python] new to list, will mod_python ever simulate what mod_perl does?

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Sat Sep 7 16:37:10 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 07:32, Mark Nielsen wrote:
> The one thing I seem to be missing with the CGI handler is a standard
> way to do persistent database connections. Is there one?

Database stuff should be handled by the standard Python DBAPI. Use a
Python database module that supports persistent connections. If
connection pooling is enough and you're using PostgreSQL, try psycopg.

> It would be really cool to port all the Perl modules for mod_perl over
> to mod_python. Is anybody doing that?

Not that I'm aware of.
Which mod_perl modules would you like to have equivalents for in Python?

Note that Python itself has lots of functionality for many different
things. See the Python library reference:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/lib.html

And as a side pointer, look at Albatross which is just perfect when
coupled with mod_python:
http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/

If you don't want to program at such a low level then I suggest Webware
or Zope.

Cheers,
Fabian