[mod_python] ANNOUNCE: mod_python 2.1 RPMs for SuSE 6.4

Gerhard Haering haering at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Sun Jun 4 04:34:32 EST 2000

this and the files at: http://jarre.pair.com/insadmin/gerhard/

----------------------------
mod_python RPMs for SuSE 6.4
----------------------------

What is it?

Source and binary packages of mod_python 2.1 and a mod_python-ready Apache
in RPM format. All for SuSE Linux version 6.4.

The history of it

I am by no means a mod_python expert. In fact I have not even programmed
anything with it until now. I am, however, very interested in mod_python
because I use Python for CGI-scripting exclusively. When I recently heard
of mod_python, I tried to make it run on my Apache server, but it was not
especially easy to get it going. Finally I succeeded but it was a product
of trial and error. A few days later I didn't want to do any 'real'
programming, so I thought it would be nice to finally learn how to build
RPMs and why not package mod_python ...

What's in for you

If you have a SuSE 6.4 system and want to try out mod_python without
messing around too much recompiling Apache or Apache modules, these RPMs
might be for you. To be honest, I don't know how well they will work, at
least they work for me, that is: after installing the RPMs
http://localhost/test/test.py displays "Hello from mod_python." on my
machine. Most probably, the RPMs will need some tweaking and be rebuilt
for older SuSE versions. They will definitely not work for any other
distributions, but the SPEC file and my patches for the Apache startup
script, httpd/httpd.conf, the Makefile for mod_python, etc. might give you
a start if you want to build packages for your favorite distribution.

Quickstart

On a SuSE 6.4 system, remove the old Apache RPM and install my modified
Apache 1.3.12 RPM. Then install the mod_python RPM. Then restart Apache
and point your browser to http://localhost/test/test.py. The text "Hello
from mod_python." should be displayed. If you want to know what's going on
behind the scenes:

     - patched the SuSE startup script /sbin/init.d/apache to work with and
       without mod_python
     - patched /etc/httpd/httpd.conf to use a mod_python
       handler at /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/test/test.py
     - install mod_python documentation at /usr/doc/packages/mod_python

Have a lot of fun!

Feedback

I cannot promise to remove any bugs in the RPMs, but if any feedback is
coming, I will try. If I have some time to waste, I will try to improve
the RPMs and make some for SuSE 6.3. Please contact me at haering at in.tum.de.